Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Cant we raise the minimum wage in BC, Canada?

CNDwageraise
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Hello,

I wish to direct everybody's attention, that British Columbia of Canada, has the lowest minimum wage in ALL of Canada, with $8 an hour? As most people are aware, by 2010, the HST tax would be applied, which means one thing, prices will be more expensive than they are today, and if i could say, the things today are already quite pricey.

Can't we help our friends are families, that works extra hard to make an income to support there family, by raising the minimum wage in Canada?? I truly believe that there should be balance... If the tax and prices were to increase, our income should also increase...

Of course this is just my opinion, I would love to hear from all your opinions.

British Columbia has the lowest minimum wage of $8/hour, I truly believe it should be increased. Would you agree? or Disagree?

johnnyt18
06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't do that. Just think about the consequences first.
Raise the min. wage from 8 to 10 lets say for example the results:
1) businesses can't afford to keep all the employees so they lay off and spread the job duties to others
2) Businesses won't pay the raises themselves, prices will go up on products to counter the wage increase and your right back where you started.
3)Businesses won't give raises and more jobs become minimum wage.
4)Middle income families are hurt as the prices of food, and other things increase but they get no raise.

This is what has happened in Ontario, now it is VERY hard to find jobs especially above min. wage and the prices keep going up. I admit it's nice for about 3 months or so after the raise, but after that your not any further ahead.
I would lobby more for job security, full time hours, and government programs for min. wage earners. (like covering more then 55% of earnings on EI, THAT is hard to live on :O)

move5
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Minimum wage should be a "living wage".

Tsveta
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Minimum wage should be a "living wage".

Absolutelly! It is obvious that minimum wage is not enough but what is a "living wage", what is the criteria?

jojoba
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Many financial analists say that the minimum wage is bad for the economy since the employers sometimes would not hire people because they can't afford paying it.:(

move5
11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Many financial analists say that the minimum wage is bad for the economy since the employers sometimes would not hire people because they can't afford paying it.:(

If employers have work that needs doing, they'll hire.
Do you want to live in a society where people work for less than it costs to live?
A living wage means employees earn enough to afford to live.
Not a fancy life but pay for lodging, food, the necessities.
Not alll jobs should be living wage jobs.
There should criteria with no loopholes for employers (maybe a % of all workers must be paid a living wage so they can't only hire partime workers).

Administrator
08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
If employers have work that needs doing, they'll hire.
Do you want to live in a society where people work for less than it costs to live?
A living wage means employees earn enough to afford to live.
Not a fancy life but pay for lodging, food, the necessities.
Not alll jobs should be living wage jobs.
There should criteria with no loopholes for employers (maybe a % of all workers must be paid a living wage so they can't only hire partime workers).

Agree. You can't live a fancy life with minimum wage but at least you have a job.