View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Agencies will pay you the market rate - if admin assistants are getting paid $12-$14 in your area, you will get $12-$14. You get full pay.

The agency will charge the client a premium, though. If you're getting $12/hr., they will bill the client $19/hr. Clients are paying for pre-screening, pre-testing, pre-interviewing - a recruiter will do all the footwork and save the client a whole lot of time and effort for which they are willing to pay.

Talk to a few places - different agencies will treat you differently. You will need to find a recruiter you are comfortable working with and they are looking for people they can trust; a bad placement makes the agency look bad, and they can lose a client. A good recruiter is worth their weight in gold; I probably wouldn't be in my current career position without a placement I got 12 years ago.

Good agencies can do two things for you (if you're good and reliable): get you into companies that aren't hiring or where your resume would get lost in volume, and get you permanent work. Many agency jobs are called "temp-to-perm" meaning that you'll go in as a temp, but if you work out, you'll get hired permanently.

Where are you based and what kind of work do you do (no specifics, please)?