Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Canadian Labour Legislation
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Exclamation Just cause to quit and get EI?

Hi all,

My employer keeps delaying payroll, we're now a full month behind and there's not much hope to get paid everything that's due. Late payment of salaries begun 16 months ago and management keeps making promises, only to break them instantly. Last summer they reduced our working hours to 35hrs/week as a temporary money-saving measure and today we're still on reduced hours.

A lot of employees have filed complaints with the ministry of labour of Ontario but nothing happened. The company cannot pay salaries and refuses to lay off because they would have to pay severance, so they're basically forcing us to quit if we don't like the way we're being treated.

Would this be considered 'just cause' to quit and get EI?

I can't take this anymore, I can't pay my bills on time and my last paycheque bounced. I'm not sure I can find a new job immediately so I really need EI in that eventuality.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM

The best thing you can do is consult a lawyer. It is clear that the company may go bankrupt any day and you will be without a job anyways but if you quit is not clear that you will get EI. consult a lawyer to get your best options.