Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Finding a Job in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Alberta isnt booming when it comes to Oilfield work

Take it from somone that wasted countless days and $$$ traveling from Toronto to Alberta where i spent hundreds of dollars on safety tickets you need to even be considered for the oilfields. CSTS(Construction Safety Training System) PST ( Petroleum Safety Training ) First Aid and Fall Protection and Confined Space Awareness you also need H2S Alive. Once you spend about $120 for each of these tickets then you have to compete against experienced union members. Getting into the labourers union isnt easy either. So beware before you come wasting your time in Alberta for the oilfield stuff. Im in Fort Mcmurray the biggest oil sand deposit in the world and i havent gotten a job as a labourer yet. I have my grade 12 H2S Alive, First Aid Petroleum Safety and im still unemployed. They lie to get you up here so you fill in the regular nobody jobs. Rent in fort mcmurray is 800 to 1000 for a one bedroom if your lucky because of all the oilfield workers everything cost more here. BEWARE...
Old 04-04-2006, 01:42 PM

$1000 for a one bedroom seems very expensive to me. You can get a very nice 1 bedroom in a good neighbourhood in Toronto. For how long have you been looking for job? How much does the average oilfield worker make per hour?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 AM

Yes that is expensive.
Surely you can get a one bedroom for half that price??