Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Dressing for Interview and delicate Q&As?

I have a face-to-face interview in January for a position as CEO of a power utilities company. I already had a first telephone interview with the recruiting company, which went very well, but as the appointment requires cabinet approval, they had to clear my application with the political masters before going to the next step, which is the second interview. I had important jobs in the past, but nothing remotely like this one.

First question: how do I dress? I'm known as a savvy and generally unconventional dresser, and it is well appreciated. But at 51, I don't have the look of a suit-and-tie CEO...Should I present who I really am, or should I just get myself a conventional dark suit-white-shirt-tie combo?

My other question is about my former job. I was dismissed without cause by my board over 18 months ago. It was a very controversial issue and the story made front page news: I am seen as a hero in some circles (the younger crowd of "greens" and left-wing fanatics), but like the devil in others (like the more conventional corporate and political elite). Even after 18 months, people still want to know the crusty details, but I signed a confidentiality agreement after an out-of-court settlement. What would be the best answer if I am asked why I was fired? How can I ensure that my answer presents me in a positive light, without risking being derogatory towards my former board? Also, I didn't need to work since that time. What can I say about that period of inactivity, without sounding like I am a lazy slacker (which I think I might have become)?

Thanks for any advice. I always enjoy and do great in job interviews, but I'm admittedly very stressed over this one.