Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Immigration to Canada > Immigration to Canada - Questions & Resources
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Immigration for International Students

Hi all!
I was wondering if any of you guys came here on a study permit and moved on (or are moving on) to obtaining your immigration here.

I came here when i was barely 18 so I don't have much work experience except my one year post grad job that i'm currently working at (post grad work permit) and a three yr diploma I completed when I was on a study permit.
The skilled worker process doesn't seem very promising because of my lack of sufficient work experience...

I'd love to know what others like me have been doing...

thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Hi, Can you just stay in Canada with work permit and after you gain experience apply for PR?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Yeh, I did think about that. I am trying to get a work permit extension but my job is customer service and it's very tough to switch to a work permit from a student visa.
Has anyone successfully tried this before?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 AM

You have to try. Did you try finding different job that will secure your work permit?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 AM

Well, I am trying but it's hard because most employers don't want to hire foreign workers unless it's skilled or highly professional work. I got turned down once because companies would rather hire someone who can start next week or right away than waste time and money hiring a foreign worker.
That's why I wanted to know if anyone tried this and was successful before.
Thanks though, I really appreciate the feedback