Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Canadian Labour Legislation
User Name
Password

Old 12-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Default reference issue

Hello,

I'm in a weird situation where a potentiel employer would like to check my professional references, but my former employer policy is not to release more information than employment dates and position title. I was a temporary employee in that company as all of my former co-workers. The supervisor was the only person whom we reported to.
I asked for more co-operation from the Human Resources, but it seems they are not flexible.
I had no difficulties to get references from my current employer, and just need a second reference from my second and only employer I have here.
I read somewhere that an employer who cannot check reference should think the application is not a good one. This no reference policy is so ridiculous, and may jeopardize job seekers applications! I don't know what else to do.
Anyone has any suggestion? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:02 AM

I would explain the situation to the potential employer and provide them the contact info of your past employer. Tell them they have a policy against providing info but here is there number if you would like to call them anyway and verify for yourself. This shows the potential employer you have nothing to hide.
www.rstechnologies.ca
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your answer. Actually, this was what I did, and the potentiel employer checked with my former one. They are still not satisfied with answers (or should I say no answers) they received. I explained the situation to both HR, and it seems like they stand with their positions in each side.
It's so stupid, because I know - and they also do - that I did a good job during my time with them; and because of their policy, it seems like I am a bad applicant or need to hide some things.
Oh well, I give up! I'm tired to talk to stubborn people!! I'm going to see somewhere else.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 AM

That must be very frustrating. You did all you could; it is out of your hands. It does seem like an unusual policy; I haven't come across that before. Does your past employer call references when they are hiring; if so they are hypocrites. I wonder what they are trying to accomplish by not providing the reference; strange.
www.rstechnologies.ca
Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 AM

Thats what happened to me in the past. The hiring person tries to make you bend your former company policies for their own good. I kept getting calls from them saying that if I don't do as they say ("don't listen to your former work's policy and to violate it.... if I do my former company will really give me a bad reference!!!) so even before you get a job you will ruin your previous (and most important reference)... so just be firm and say sorry thats their side of the story and you are not going to violate their policy.

I think this is called respect/critical thinking/reflection.
Make sure to flag this (the one you had problem with the interviewer) in your "job hunting" book. so if few years later you do get that "reference" they need, you can go to interview again.

If the interviewer keeps insist and you don't have, there is nothing you can do. Its like collection agency saying "ask your friend to borrow money to pay it off" just because the "agency" said this doesn't mean you must do it. if it end up you lost your friend its your fault

Last edited by kocoman; 12-29-2006 at 02:27 AM..