Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Canadian Labour Legislation
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Is overtime pay mandatory?

Must an employers always pay overtime pay, or only if it stipulates it in the contract?

Is it a legal obligation to pay overtime?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM

Well they must, but they don't. If you work on a contact they pay you by the hour (there is no overtime). If you are a permanent employee most of the time you don't get paid for staying late. It is considered that you are loyal to the company and you work for it's own good, and yours.... Maybe you'll get a Christmas bonus or will get promoted some day.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:01 PM

I have friends, accountants, who during the busy season work for 40 days with no break, Saturday and Sunday too, and get only a bonus.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:42 AM

Accountants are usually salaried employees that need to get a certain amount of work done. They probably also book off early in the summer to go to the beach.

Hourly employees who work more than 44 hours in a week are entitled to 1.5 times minimum wage. For an example, if minimum wage is $5/hour and you currently earn $7.50/ hour, you will not receive and premium pay for overtime hours. This is legislation. Employers may have different labour practices in effect.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Accountants have it great in that its so easy to work for yourself!
Once you know the tricks of the trade, you can set up your own business, rather than work set hours for an employer.

I know I would do that if I were a qualified accountant.