Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Self Employment in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 07-20-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Toronto software job market for contractors

Hi,

I'm moving to Toronto this fall and I have a few questions.
I'm a software developer with more than 7 years of experience and I would like to start my own consulting business.

How is the software job market in Toronto lately? Are there many job opportunities for contractors, or most of the positions are permanent?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:14 PM

Hi Steven,

Welcome to JobForum.ca!

From my own experience the job market is good. There are positions for contractors. You have chosen the perfect time to move. October and November are the best months for the jobseekers.

Cheers
Old 07-20-2004, 07:10 PM

Thanks

I was planning to move in the middle of September, but I might postpone it for the middle of October. I hope the demand for software contractors will remain strong in the near future; last thing I want is to start on a permanent position
Old 07-25-2004, 04:33 PM

Yes the job market is not that bad. . I'm sure you're going to find a contract.
Some people prefer permanent positions because they give them sense of "security". There is no such thing. You can be terminated without any reason. If there is a major layoff you can do nothing. The best example in Canada is Nortel.
As contractor you get better rates and pay less taxes and if you are lucky to find longer contracts, it's definitely better.