Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Finding a Job in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Advice: Reapplying for a job I had an interview for in the past

Hello,

I wasn't sure this was the right forum for my questions... but here goes...

A little less than a year ago, I applied to a job and received an interview. I did not get the job, but about 4 months later, the HR person that interviewed me contacted me about another opening (same position, so I guess they were hiring more employees)... but I had already accepted another offer, and thus was no longer interested. However, now, about another 4 months later... I noticed another new opening (again, same position -- this is a relatively large company, so I assume they have openings every year, etc.), and I am considering it.

So, my questions are:

Should I email a cover letter + resume to the HR person I originally interviewed with (and who later contacted me), even though the job posting said to apply through their website? (Note that I have no idea whether the HR person even still works there... and I still have to look around to see if I have their email address)

Should I just apply through the company's website, and make mention of my previous interview (and the HR person I interviewed with -- I've been told name-dropping is good )?

Should I do both?

And, finally, if I'm lucky enough to get an interview... should/can I mention my previous interview with the company? (where this may come up is if they ask my why I am interested in the company, etc.)

Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 AM

If you have the HR person's number you can call and check if she/he still works there. If yes, then you can get more details about the position they advertise and you can also ask what will be the best way to apply. If not you can try talking to somebody else in HR, explaining that you have been already interviewed for similar position in the past.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 PM

I would call the HR person. If you don't have their email call the company and ask for the HR department and find them. I would explain the situation and maybe this time you'll get lucky
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 PM

Thank you both for the advice... but what sort of thing would i say?

"I saw your posting, I've been interviewed for a similar position before and was wondering if there was [u]another way to apply[\u]?" or "a better way to apply?" or something else? I'm not sure how I would phrase it
Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 AM

How does that sound - I saw your posting and I've decided to apply because I would really like to work for your company and want to take another chance. Something like that...