Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Finding a Job in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2006, 06:37 AM

aerowings:

first off, did you get your temp job through a staffing agency or on you own?

I am asking because this makes a difference.

I used to work within the staffing industry so I can share some insight.

If you are working the temp job through an agency, then technically the agency is your employer. You would just have to let the agency know that the job is not a fit for you and you would not like to continue that role.

The agency would then notify the employer and tell them you would not be continuing and they would then send another replacement in your place.

If you found this temporary role on your own - then there are different options as well. If you signed a contract before you starting working - take a look at the contract and see if it says anything about the amount of notice you may have to give in order to end employment. If there is no mention of a timeframe - then the minimum amount of notice is 1 week - where 2 weeks would be standard. Since you have only been there for a week - I would suggest you having a meeting with your boss and tell him/her that this is not the right role for you and that you would like to give notice. You might not have to even give 1-2 weeks as you may come to an agreement and end employment immediately.

Hopefully this helps....
Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 PM

Thank you for your help, I did quit it after 1 week there and needless to say the recruiter is very pissed at me. She has not returned my calls. I needed to explain myself to her, but she won't hear it so oh well.

I ended up temping for a different agency for a 2 to 3 week stint. I knew after 10 minutes of being at the new temp job that I was in a horrible place at the previous one. Unfortunately I ended up "working my self out of the temp job" and was told that they were running out of things for me to do after 4 days. So, after the 6th day, I was told I was done. I really didn't mind being finished, however it seem back to the hunt for me.

I am trying to get a seasonal position at any store that would have me however it is not working. Places post positions, I go in and a few weeks later, the positions are posted again. I have even committed to being available everyday and from open to close, but I guess with no Retail experience, nobody wants me. I just don't understand how a 16 year old with no experience could get a job like that, but I can't. Its a great ego boost for me (ha ha).
Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 AM

if u hate them and you don't want to get a reference from them, just go on a break and never come back - lol i woulnd't personally do that, cuz i've liked all the jobs i've had, but I know of people who have...

or yah just give them two weeks, tell them str8 up that the temp position conflicts with your schedule or true aspirations ..

hope tha thelps/.