Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Immigration to Canada > Immigration to Canada - Questions & Resources
User Name
Password

Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Looking for your 1st Job, Many problems!

Hi all,

Here is some information for you all, especially for those from the UK.
It might sound complicated but here it goes.

I have lots of government administration experience from back in the UK, and i thought (and even my lawyer from Toronto thought the same thing) that coming to Ottawa was a good idea, as i do have a good working background in the Government & private Sector, I am 30 years old.

It seems that people from the UK who move to Canada, cannot work for the government for at least 5 Years!!, and is some cases 10.

Why???, well according to the government department that carries out the checks, the UK is not on their list. So that means they cannot carry out a background check as you have not been in Canada for 5 years make sense?

But if you have lived in Algeria, Argentina, etc.... for example then the gov dept in Canada can go ahead with the background check for your federal government clearance as they have a link up with those countries.

Sounds very strange, i have talked to everyone i can think about this with no avail, job agencies, the dept that carries out the checks, and even the MP's office, but they all seem a bit lost..

So here i am, a bit stuck, 20 applications so far, all to the private sector as i can't go for a government job. The queen is the head of Canada, the British flag in on the Ontario flag, we are both part of the commonwealth, and part of NATO, i got in the country fine with the same checks that they would have to carry out again, but can't. They will not take a background check from yourself, it has to be applied for through an agency, which you now know will have to be in 5 years time!!!, oh yeah, unless i lived in Algeria, i would have been fine then.

So why can't they just contact the immigration dept to verify the clearance checks???, i dunno, they can't answer me that either... Stupid. The info that they need is right in front of them which they won't get?

It seems that you are cleared to get into Canada, but can't get a decent job. All this to wait for 5 years to carry out the same checks which are available to them in a different department.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 AM

This really sounds strange. I've heard of people who can't get a credit card because they were not long enough in Canada but for the government jobs I had no idea… Is it the same situation for people who moved from Australia?

Why don’t you try an administrative position in some private company for a start?