Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Finding a Job in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Accounting: what to do next?

I’ve got a business degree in finance from a major university. I have almost 2 years experience doing AR, AP, bank recs …. Accounting clerk type work. I am only making like $35k a year. I am a couple of years from my CGA designation.

What can I do to get ahead faster. What is my next job I should take on?

I’m not qualified to run an accounting department yet. I don’t want to keep doing accounting clerk type work cause I think I’m past that. Any ideas on what other skills I need to move onto a higher position within the private sector. What position to go after next?

I thought about moving to public practice to get experience working with different companies, but then I’d be stuck with another low paying job for at least a year.

I’m kind of stuck in a rut and want to figure this out. I’m in my late 20s, and I’m just tired of making so little with my education. So many people are making 50, 60, 70k doing jobs that don’t need that much training/experience/education.

I just want to make the right move here. Any advice?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 AM

In general if you don't get a promotion in the company you are working for right now you should move on and find another job but this time apply for a job with more responsibilities and therefore better paid. I guess once you get your CGA you will be able to make better money.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Hello,

Hi

I am in the same situation as you are, but a little bit older than you-late 30. I got an university degree in accounting and wasn't able to find challenging jobs, but just accounting clerks, as AP, AR, bank rec's where I felt I am stuck with no chance to grow further. I then decided that the only way to acheive something and to get a better pay, is to register with an accounting designation program, and slowly to become a chartered accountant. I will also suggest to you to apply for position such as assistant controller, as the best way to see exactly what a chartered accountant is doing in this position. You will then be able to decide if you want to invest more of your time in education, or to choose something else to do that requires less education/experience in different industries/training/etc......

Good luck to you!
Tuculina, Montreal area