Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Self Employment in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Contracting in Toronto

Hi all,

I'm moving to Toronto from London (UK) in a few months time and i'm wondering if I could get some advice on how the contracting market works in Canada. I'm a C# .Net developer with over 7 years experience building web sites, multi-tier web applications, web form and WPF applications. I have been contracting now for over 4 years, first in Sydney and now in London.

In Sydney I was employed directly by a recruitment agency and they sent me to work on site for their client. So in effect I was just like a tax paying employee. However in London (for the last two years) I set my own limited company (not sure what the Canadian equivalent is). I still get paid through a recruitment agency as I use them to get me the jobs. In effect the agency employs my limited company of which I am director and employee. I then have to figure my tax etc at the end of the year.

I would appreciate any advice on how the Canadian system works and if anyone could point me in the right direction as to good job search web sites that advertise contracting jobs please. Thank you

By the way i'm Irish and have a visa to work in Canada, not sure if that will have any impact.

Regards,
Dave
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Hi Dave,

The recruiting works the same way here. You register your company
123 Inc. and you get paid through the company. I would strongly suggest to find good accountant to do your taxes.
For job hunting try workopolis.com and monster.ca. Also try contacting recruiting agencies directly.

Wish you best of luck

Tags
.net, advice, contracting, toronto